Environmental Resource Inventories (ERIs)
Also known as Natural Resource Inventories (NRIs)
ANJEC Resource Paper on ERIs (1.3MB)
With text, maps, photos and other visual elements, ERIs/NRIs bring together information on natural resource characteristics and environmental features. Once compiled, ERIs/NRIs, become the basis for land use planning that protects resources. The ERI/NRI enables environmental commissions and open space committees to play a significant role in municipal master planning, land use ordinance development, and site plan review ( 226kb).
For more detail about the content of an ERI/NRI and guidelines for its compilation, see the ANJEC Resource Paper on ERIs ( 290kb).
The State Planning Commission requires ERIs/NRIs for municipalities seeking Plan Endorsement, a process which has both regulatory and funding benefits. State agencies are committed to assist municipalities implementing their endorsed plans by providing
- Technical assistance
- Direct state capital investment
- Priority for state grants and loans, and
- Substantive and procedural regulatory changes such as permit streamlining.
- Belmar Borough, Monmouth County
- Bedminster Township, Somerset County
- Woodbridge Township, Middlesex County
Township, Somerset County